Our Attitude Is Everything.

We’ve all faced difficult students.

It was only last Friday that I dealt with one of the most difficult behaviour challenges of my career, facing a non-compliant, defiant, aggressive student.

And yet, I still think that it is fair to say that it is our attitude which determines how effective our teaching is. We could be faced with thirty little faces, apathetic, stubborn, determined not to learn, but it is us who decides whether learning takes place or not.

If I feel like I can’t do it, I can’t.

If I feel like a student won’t succeed, they won’t.

If I give up, it’s over.

That’s not to say that, when dealing with teaching’s realities, it’s easy to keep a positive perspective all of the time. It isn’t. What it is saying is that we will succeed more often if we try to have a healthy attitude to our job and our students.

When we have a healthy attitude to our job, giving it our best but not our all, we set a good example to those around us, colleagues and students alike. I always think of the phrase:

“Do what you can with what you’ve got.”

When we don’t berate ourselves for our imperfections or the impact of our time being limited, we give others the freedom to have a life. That really is a priority!

Our attitude can also determine our outcomes with students.

Students who know that you think they can succeed, will try.

Students who know what you like them, will (eventually) like you and trust you.

Students you deliberately try to respect, will at least know that they have let you down if they don’t treat you well.

Maybe you’re thinking, ‘What does this look like in practice? Do you even practise what you preach?’

The answer is that I at least try to. I’ll give you an example.

When J, a year seven student, was in trouble for poor behaviour, I sent her out. My conversation with her was quiet, shouting only creates opposition in that sort of environment, but very deliberate.

Me: “You know that I like you and think you’re a great student.

J: …

Me: “Do you think that I try to respect you and treat you well?”

J: “Yes.”

Me: “Did what you did respect me or disrespect me?”

J: “Well, I was trying to…”

Me: “I’m happy to listen to what you’ve got to say after I’ve spoken but, for now: did what you did respect me or disrespect me?”

J: “Disrespect.”

Me: “Was what you did rude or polite?”

J: “Rude.”

Me: “And did you want to disrespect me and treat me rudely?”

J: …

Me: “How do you think that made me feel when I try so hard to respect you and treat you kindly?”

J: “I’m sorry, Miss.”

If I can’t ask students whether I treat them with respect and get a affirmatory response, I’ve already guaranteed myself a hard time.

It’s my attitude that determines my classroom and my own teacher-student relationships.

Our attitude is everything.