Naughty but Nice…

I don’t know about you but my favourite classes are often those with an overabundance of personality. The naughty but nice…

Like Jelly Babies!

The ones where, years later, you’ll bump into them in town with their small children in tow and they’ll jump to greet you before swiftly apologising for all the hassle they put you through.

The ones who’ll give you a cheeky grin in the corridor or yell, “Hello, Miss!” in a silent study hall.

The ones who won’t blink before they absolutely trash the lesson you’ve spent an hour planning and resourcing but would defend you with their lives against an ‘outsider’.

What I like best about them is the sense of belonging and teamwork, the way you all bumble through it together.

Ups and downs aplenty are inevitable.

The reason?

They like you but, and this is a big butt worthy of Nicki Minaj, they don’t like learning and they definitely don’t like school.

I guess the question then is: how can we make sure that these naughty but nice students achieve and, perhaps, even start to enjoy their learning?

Firstly, praise is what I’ve found to be essential. Whatever is hitting the fan, we should tell them that we like them, that we want them to do well and that they really CAN do it.
Secondly, we have to make sure that our lessons suit them, and that’s no mean feat, I know! Are they competitive? Can we bring in prizes or make it a quiz? Do they work well if they feel like they’re being given a privilege? Let them listen to music while they write quietly (if your school allows it!).

Whatever it is that motivates them, go for it!

I’m not saying that I have all the answers or that these naughty but nice students always blow me away with their results…

What I am saying is that they’re the ones I remember and will continue to remember. They’re often the ones that make teaching worth it – the ones who get their ‘C’ (or now a four or five) and you cry because you’re so proud.

What I’m wondering is: how do you get them on-board and inspire them?

Let me know!